Friday, October 3, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon: TBR

15

Call me crazy, but I've signed up for my first readathon, Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon, on October 18.  The first issue that I need to address is how easy it is to type "readathong" instead of "readathon."  Seriously, I'm 0/3 in this post so far.

The second item on the table is my TBR pile.  I've got four books that I'd like to get through and a fifth that I'd like to start (and maybe finish? Ambitious much?).  There's also two books that I'm reading now:
  • The Distant Hours by Kate Morton - I'm about 1/3 of the way through now, and I plan to finish it before the readathon, but in case I don't, I'll try to get through it on readathon day.  (For the record, that was two more "readathongs" caught in the knick of time.)
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - This one's over 800 pages, and I'm half-way through.  I've been taking this one at quite a leisurely pace, so I'd like to read a couple of chapters during the readathon, but it'll be with us for many weeks to come.
And presenting  the specially-designated readathon books:
  • The Courage Consort by Michel Faber - This is a collection of three novellas: The Courage Consort, The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps, and The Fahrenheit Twins.  I read it several years go, but it's due for a reread.  I wanted to start with some shorter works to get pumped for the rest of the day.
  • Summerfall by Claire Legrand - Another novella, it's a prequel to the recently-published Winterspell, which I'm thinking about reading, so I'm giving the author a test-drive.  This is an ebook, so I thought it would be a good idea to read it earlier in the day, before my eyes become completely fried.
  • Through the Woods by Emily Carroll - Because graphic novels are always good.
  • Shouldn't You Be in School? by Lemony Snicket - The third book in the All the Wrong Questions Series.  This is the book I'm most excited about, so I'm hoping that it will inspire me to power through the previous books.
  • The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett - This the only true standalone in the Discworld series, so it's a perfect low-commitment Pratchett book for a readathon.  This will be another reread, so I'm allowed to fall asleep in the middle.
And finally, I've come up with a schedule for the day; it's not a goal by any means, more of a hypothesis.  I'm lucky on the east coast, my start time is 8am, so I can wake up at a fairly normal time, and then stay up as late as I can.  I've rounded up to leave time for mini-challenges, food, and my other books:

8am: The Courage Consort
1pm: Summerfall
5pm: Through the Woods
7pm: Shouldn't You Be in School?
11pm: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

Good luck to everyone else embarking on this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment